Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A moist spicy slice my family loves and is fought over at gatherings. Made on wholemeal flour and raw sugar - still devoured by fussy teenage children despite the"health factor"
Big Mixing Bowl Ingredients
- 1 1⁄2 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3⁄4 cup raw sugar
- 1 cup soft brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
Big Measuring Jug Ingredients
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 -5 apples (peeled, cored & 1 cm cubed)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Pre heat oven 350F/180°C.
- Line baking tin/s with silicone paper.
- In the big mixing bowl - combine well the - flour, oats, sugars, salt, nutmeg, baking soda and baking powder.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Set aside for later.
- I use a large measuring jug to mix the wet ingredients as we want exactly 4 cups of mixture - (I chop my apples as I go and keep adding to the jug until it reaches the 4 cup mark).
- In the jug combine well the - oil,egg, milk, cider, vanilla and chopped apples.
- Pour jug of wet ingredients into the dry ingredients & mix with a large metal spoon until just combined.
- Spread into 9" x 13" x 2" sheetpan or 3 x loaf tins.
- Sprinkle ground ginger evenly over top of batter (I use a tea sieve).
- Sprinkle evenly with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 40 min approx if using sheetpan OR 30-35 min if using loaf tins OR.
- Test with knife inserted - comes out clean.
- Cool in tin on baking rack.