This is an amazing soup! I've just gone vegetarian, and I've been experimenting with soups. It's very easy to make. The spice is mild, compared to what I normally make. If you want your soup to be spicier, add more than 1 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- Heat butter and oil in large pot until butter begins to foam. Add onion and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cayenne, curry powder, and ginger. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add parsnips, apple, and honey. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Let it cool.
- Strain out all chunks and puree in blender. Add puree back to liquid, whisk together.
- Reheat to serve.