Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook, with a few adaptations. Soft, moist, flavorful and healthy. These muffins are NOT very sweet so choose a sweet apple variety or increase the honey to 1/2 cup if you prefer a sweeter muffin.
- 1⁄4 cup non-instant nonfat dry milk solid
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup natural bran (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup apple, unpeeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. blend well.
- mix wet ingredients in a bowl. blend well.
- add wet ingredients to large bowl and stir just until blended.
- fold grated apple and carrot into batter.
- transfer into 12 greased muffin tins.
- bake in a preheated 400 oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until slightly browned
Nice flavor with a moist, yet chewy texture. I liked that they are not too sweet. I may add some chopped nuts next time, or some dried cranberries.
This is a pretty good muffin, and as Procrasti-baker says, it is NOT very sweet. I missed that in the recipe and therefore did not have the sweet muffin I wanted. Next time I will increase honey. Thanks!