Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Better (calorie-wise) than a cake yet very tasty. I mostly enjoy this with tea.
Make and share this Spicy Apple Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 apple, thinly peeled and grated (enough apple to make one cup)
- 59.14 ml low-fat sour cream
- 2 egg whites
- 354.88 ml flour
- 29.58 ml packed brown sugar
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 4.92 ml allspice
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Dust with flour.
- Mix apple, sour cream, sugar and egg whites in large bowl.
- Sieve flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Stir in flour-mixture with apple-mixture.
- Spread in prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Freezes well.
This IS mighty spicy - and I LOVE the flavour! I used gluten free flour and made it into six nice big muffins which took 20 minutes to bake. So moist and chewy, I will definitely make these again! Thanks for posting :)
Made for Ramadan Tag 2011
This lives up to its name-it is NOT shy on spices. Loved the cardamom with the apple. Quite moist for being so low in fat. And is sweet enough for me with just 2 tbls. sugar. Nutrition facts listed are for the WHOLE loaf, so if you get 8-10 slices, the fat and sugars are really low per slice. Thanks for posting this keeper!