Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Created for RSC#11. Made as an appetizer, but can also be used as a side dish.
Make and share this Spicy and Sweet Cheesy Asparagus recipe from Food.com.
- 1 ounce pine nuts
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup grated gouda cheese, divided, more if desired
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Preheat oil in frying pan. Preheat broiler.
- Add pine nuts and shallots to frying pan and saute for about 1 minute.
- Add asparagus to pan and season with cayenne pepper. Cook for about two minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the white wine, honey, salt and pepper (to taste). Add to asparagus and cook until asparagus is done (in my opinion, crispy to the bite).
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until well blended.
- Whisk in milk gradually until mixture is smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and whisk in 3/4 cup cheese until melted and blended.
- Spoon sauce on top of asparagus.
- Add remaining gouda and place under broiler until cheese is bubbly.
This was a easy sweet and creamy tasty creation. Good use of ingredients.
I sauteed the shallots and pine nuts in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Adding 2 pounds of asparagus. Covered and cooked for 2 minutes. I transferred the asparagus to a oven proof dish then topped with the cheese mixture (which I added the juice, pine nut and the shallots that remained in the pan). For they would have been lost in the bottom of the pan. Do watch under the broiler for it does brown quickly. This is sweet and creamy. Yummy!