1/1 Photo of Spicy and Rich Sausage and Kidney Bean Chili (Ww 6 Pointsplus)
Based on a recipe from John La Puma, M.D.’s cookbook, ChefMD’s Big Book of Culinary Medicine. This is 6 PointsPlus (Weight Watchers) for each 1 ¼-cup serving. He says you can substitute Andouille or other spicy chicken sausage for the chipotle chicken sausage. Jalapeño or other full-flavored salsa may replace the habañero salsa. Ordinary Greek or Italian leaf oregano can substitute for the Mexican oregano: the former are slightly sharper and less aromatic. For extra heat and tropical flavor, add a whole habañero chili pepper along with the canned tomatoes; remove from the chili before serving. Using the liquid from the canned kidney beans gives the chili a nicely thickened sauce. Nutritional analysis per serving: total fat 7.2 g, fat calories 64.4, cholesterol 39.9 mg, saturated fat 1.7 g, polyunsaturated fat .8 g, monounsaturated fat 1.4 g, fiber 9.9 g, carbohydrates 30.4 g, sugar 6.3 g, protein 20.1 g, sodium 613.2 mg, calcium 122.6 mg, magnesium 55.4 mg, zinc .9 mg, selenium 1.3 mcg, and potassium 632.5 mg; 262 calories per serving, 24% from fat. I love this chili and find it a quick enough recipe that I can make it after work and take the leftovers to work the next day as it reheats nicely.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large white onion, chopped and 1/4 cup set aside for garnish
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 links fully cooked chipotle chicken sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices (organic preferred)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can organic no-salt-added diced tomatoes, such as Muir Glen brand, undrained
- 1/2 cup habanero flavored salsa
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed (preferably Mexican)
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic no-salt-added kidney beans, undrained
- 1 ripe avocado, diced (optional)
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges (optional)
- 1Cook all but the ¼ cup chopped onion in oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- 2Add the chicken sausage; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, salsa, coffee, and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 4Add the beans; return to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5To serve, ladle 1 ¼ cups into four shallow bowls.
- 6Garnish with reserved chopped white onion and optionally with chopped avocado, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy and Rich Sausage and Kidney Bean Chili (Ww 6 Pointsplus)
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 62.7
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 206.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-salt-added kidney beans