Recipe by MarraMamba
Not for the faint hearted! From the time/life cooking of the world series, this is the one gingerbread cake that tops all others. IF you like fudgy, moist but highly spiced gingerbread. If you prefer milder flavors this is not for you.
Top Review by 4sweeper
I wanted a strongly flavoured gingerbread cake to use in the recipe for Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle (recipe #105081). This recipe works well. I baked it in a 9x13 pan for 25 minutes. Thank-you!
- 1 tablespoon softened butter (grease pan with it)
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons dark molasses
- 4 tablespoons corn syrup (or golden syrup if you have it)
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift first 6 ingredients together in a bowl, set aside.
- Heat all butter, molasses and golden syrup in a small saucepan, simmer until butter is melted, stirring continuously.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Pour the melted ingredients in a thin stream over flour mixture stirring constantly.
- When smooth, add the eggs 1 by 1 stirring after each addition.
- Put into 7 x 12 cake pan and bake for 35-40 mnutes until tester comes out clean (like a knife).