June Marie's Note:
I wanted to make my own to save money, to include Vegan version and to spice it up different ways. Can use Italian seasoning instead of spicy ingredients. Also, have made these burgers with pasta and spaghetti sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1 (1 lb) stir fry vegetables, can be used instead of green pepper and onion, thawed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 eggs or 1/4-3/8 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed (For Vegan egg substitute, simmered in 3 tablespoons water. Stir together until thick and gelatinous.)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (can use chili pepper paste, Huy Fong Sambal Oelek)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or 1/2 cup rolled oats
- add additional 1/2 cup cooked brown rice, if needed
- 2To keep them from falling apart. Use the food processor for the onion, garlic and pepper mixture and then strain juices through a fine strainer to remove any excess water. Put back in food processor. Rinse the black beans and dry them off before they go in the food processor.
- 3Blend everything in the food processor, beginning with onions, peppers, and garlic, bread crumbs (or rolled oats), eggs (or flaxseed mixture) and spices and then the beans last. If mixture needs to be firmer, add cooked brown rice, mix by hand.
- 4Note: put a little oil on your hands when shaping the patties to prevent sticking.
- 5Divide mixture into four patties. (Can make them smaller, into 6 patties and serve them with a salsa dip or with a pasta dish.).
- 6So patties are easier to handle: Freeze patties and grill them frozen.
- 7For grilling: Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. Place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side.
- 8For Oven Baking: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet. Place patties on cookie sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy (Also Vegan Version) Black Bean Veggie Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.5
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 171.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
stir fry vegetables
cooked brown rice