Prep 25 mins
Cook 55 mins
A new idea for biscotti adapted from The Modern Baker by Nick Malgieri.
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1⁄4 cups whole almonds, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- Set rack at the middle level of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan by lining with parchment.
- Combine sugar and 1 1/4 cups almonds in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade; grind to a fine powder.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together ground almonds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, ginger, cinnamon, coriander and cloves. Stir in the remaining 2 cups whole almonds.
- Stir water, honey and orange zest together; add to bowl and mix until dough holds together. Scrape dough onto a floured work surface, slightly kneading it until it holds together. Divide dough in half and roll each half into a cylinder, slightly shorter than one of your baking pans. Transfer logs to the pan, keeping them well apart from one another and the sides of the pan.
- Bake the logs until they have puffed and spread and feel firm when pressed with a fingertip, about 30 minutes. (Note: About halfway through the baking time, place the pan from the lower rack on the upper one and vice versa, turning the pans back to front at the same time. If you know that your oven gives strong bottom heat, bake the pan on the lower rack stacked on a second one for insulation.).
- Let cool, then slice into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices with a serrated knife. Return slices to pan (2 parchment lined pans may be required) and bake until they are slightly toasted, 20 to 25 minutes.