1/1 Photo of Spicy African Yam Soup
Happy Hippie's Note:
This soup sounded interesting when I ran across it on Allrecipes.com It was submitted Colleen Campo. She stated: "An unusual combination of simple ingredients that render a spicy, tasty soup that's ready in less than 45 minutes!"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 15 1/2 ounces garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1Heat the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Saute onion, sweet potato, and garlic until onion is soft.
- 2Turn down heat if necessary to prevent burning.
- 3Stir in the chicken broth, thyme and cumin. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- 4Stir in salsa, garbanzo beans and zucchini. Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- 5Stir in the cooked rice and peanut butter until the peanut butter has dissolved.
- 6Serve hot with pita chips and a green salad.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy African Yam Soup
Serving Size: 1 (534 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.6
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1539.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 16.0 g