1/3 Photos of Spicy African Peanut Soup With Chickpeas
After searching on zaar for a similar soup with no success, I found this gem on the cook's recipes website. I can't wait to make a batch for the cold autumn nights we've been having! The type of broth you use is up to you, but I'll be using veggie broth to make this soup vegetarian. You can use creamy peanut butter for a smooth texture or crunchy for a bit of extra bite. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (24 ounce) jar tomato-based salsa
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 2/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- crushed peanuts (to garnish)
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan; saute onion until translucent. Add sweet potato and garlic;cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add broth, rice, thyme and cumin; stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender (18 to 20 minutes).
- 3Add salsa, garbanzos and zucchini; cook until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Add peanut butter; stir.
- 4Heat thoroughly, ladle into bowls and top with peanuts.
- 5Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy African Peanut Soup With Chickpeas
Serving Size: 1 (189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.9
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 633.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: