Recipe by Hadice
After searching on zaar for a similar soup with no success, I found this gem on the cook's recipes website. I can't wait to make a batch for the cold autumn nights we've been having! The type of broth you use is up to you, but I'll be using veggie broth to make this soup vegetarian. You can use creamy peanut butter for a smooth texture or crunchy for a bit of extra bite. Enjoy!
Top Review by liquidfire
It's an odd combination, but it's surprisingly good! Instead of salsa, I used roma tomatoes, cilantro, and lime. I love the cilantro in it. I used a 15-bean combination instead of chickpeas. I also added red pepper flakes.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (24 ounce) jartomato-based salsa
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 2⁄3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- crushed peanuts (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large saucepan; saute onion until translucent. Add sweet potato and garlic;cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, rice, thyme and cumin; stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice is tender (18 to 20 minutes).
- Add salsa, garbanzos and zucchini; cook until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Add peanut butter; stir.
- Heat thoroughly, ladle into bowls and top with peanuts.
- Serve immediately.