We served this on Christmas Eve to friends and family and it was a universal hit! Very filling and its orange colour looks beautiful in a bowl.
- 3 cups stock or 3 cups water
- 2 slices fresh ginger
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne or 2 fresh chili peppers
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- Add pepper, ginger, carrots, garlic, onions and cayenne or chilies.
- Cook for 2 minutes, then add potato and stock.
- Bring to the boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables to a food processor and purée until smooth.
- Return the purée to the saucepan and stir in peanut butter and tomato juice or mash the vegetables in the saucepan until slightly lumpy.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with green onions.