Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Adapted from Howstuffworks.com
Make and share this Spicy African Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen cut okra, thawed
- 1 cup couscous
- Cook couscous according to package directions.
- Place garlic and salt into bowl of food processor and blend until garlic is finely chopped.
- Add paprika, cumin seeds, black pepper, ginger, and allspice. Process 15 seconds.
- While processor is running, pour olive oil through cover opening until mixture forms paste.
- In a large saucepan, combine the completed spice paste, sweet potatoes, broth or water, tomatoes with juice, chickpeas, and okra. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve stew with couscous and hot pepper sauce.
This is tasty, and comforting on a fall night. We used less salt, fresh ginger, whole wheat couscous and subbed spinach for the okra. Thanks!