1/1 Photo of Spicy African Chicken Stew
This a really flavorful stew. Got it from another site and have had it often. It is very versatile can really substitute any vegetables you have on hand. The taste is awesome. Great served over rice. My complements to Leah for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (3 lb) chicken, deboned and cut pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsalted natural-style peanut butter (I only use 1Tbsp)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- cilantro or parsley, to garnish
- 1In a large dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat.
- 2Add chicken, and brown.
- 3Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- 4Reduce heat to medium low, and add garlic, onion and potato, celery and carrot to the pan.
- 5Saute for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 6Season with cumin, curry, black pepper, red pepper and salt.
- 7Return browned chicken and accumulated juices and add water to the pan.
- 8Place lid on pot and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 9Remove lid, and stir in the peanut butter and garbanzo beans.
- 10Make sure the peanut butter is blended into it. Replace lid to simmer for 10 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender.
- 11Remove from heat, adjust seasoning, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy African Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (456 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 664.4
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 170.1 mg
- Sodium 790.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 47.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
unsalted natural-style peanut butter