Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
An authentic Afghanistan tea recipe from bodhileaves blog.
Make and share this Spicy Afghan Chai Tea recipe from Food.com.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a very light boil. Break the cinnamon stick into smaller pieces and add it to the water immediately followed by the cardamom seeds and a tiny pinch of ginger. too much will overpower the other spices.
- Simmer for a 5-10 minutes or until the water turns slightly yellow and emits a pleasant smell. The cardamom seeds will swell slightly.
- Turn the heat off, add the tea leaves, and stir.
- Let steep for 1-3 minutes or to taste.
- Strain and enjoy!
- To prepare larger amounts, multiply ingredients by the number of cups you wish to make and follow the same procedure.
I used loose green tea direct from the tea fields of China sent to me by a friend who lives there. While green tea isn't my all time fav this method makes it downright enjoyable. Any recipe that can make me truly enjoy a cup of green tea is worth 5 stars at the very least! Love the cinnamon and cardamom mix.
This was a quite different tea. The cinnamon and cardamom give the tea a kick. It is however far different than a traditional Chai tea. The use of green tea is an interesting choice. Will make again when in the mood for green tea with an added flavor.