Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An authentic Afghanistan tea recipe from bodhileaves blog.
Make and share this Spicy Afghan Chai Tea recipe from Food.com.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a very light boil. Break the cinnamon stick into smaller pieces and add it to the water immediately followed by the cardamom seeds and a tiny pinch of ginger. too much will overpower the other spices.
- Simmer for a 5-10 minutes or until the water turns slightly yellow and emits a pleasant smell. The cardamom seeds will swell slightly.
- Turn the heat off, add the tea leaves, and stir.
- Let steep for 1-3 minutes or to taste.
- Strain and enjoy!
- To prepare larger amounts, multiply ingredients by the number of cups you wish to make and follow the same procedure.
I used loose green tea direct from the tea fields of China sent to me by a friend who lives there. While green tea isn't my all time fav this method makes it downright enjoyable. Any recipe that can make me truly enjoy a cup of green tea is worth 5 stars at the very least! Love the cinnamon and cardamom mix.
This was a quite different tea. The cinnamon and cardamom give the tea a kick. It is however far different than a traditional Chai tea. The use of green tea is an interesting choice. Will make again when in the mood for green tea with an added flavor.