Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a special food from Sumatera Island, Indonesia..if you are a spicy food lover, you gonna love this..Enjoy..
- 1 kg stewing beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 500 ml coconut cream or 750 ml coconut milk
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- 3 fresh turmeric (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots, to garnish (page 34)
- 2 teaspoons spicy sausage
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 24 cm fresh herbs, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, thick bottom third only, outer layers discarded, inner part sliced
- 10 cm fresh ginger, peeled ad sliced
- 8 red chilies, deseeded
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1. Prepare the Crispy Fried Shallots (see our Pickles, Sambal and Dipping Sauces).
- 2. Cut the beef into bite-sized chunks and set aside.
- 3. Make the spice paste by grinding all the ingredients very coarsely in a mortar or blender, adding a little coconut cream if necessary to keep the mixture turning.
- 4. Heat the oil in a work high heat and stir-fry the Spice Paste until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the beef chunck and all the other ingredients, except the Creispy Fried Shallots, and bring to aboil, stirring constantly. Reduced the heat to medium and simmer uncovered for about 1 hour, then reduce the heat to low and continue simmering for 1 more hour, stirring from time to time until the meat is very tender and most of the liquid has evaroted. By this time, the oil will have separated from the milk. Continue to stir-fry the beef in this oil for about 25 minutes until it turns a dark brown color, ten remove from the heat.