Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Not wanting to waste anything, this calls for the white part only of the rind. From Home Cooking.
- 3 lbs watermelon rind
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 lemon slices
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- First, remove all green outer rind and red meat from watermelon rind and discard, retaining only the white part. Force remaining white rind through food chopper, using coarse blade. Measure it, there should be 6 cups. Put in a large saucepan or stockpot with water.
- Cook slowly, uncovered, for 25 minutes, or until melon is translucent. Add sugar and lemon. Tie spices in a cheesecloth bag and add with salt to first mixture. Cook slowly, stirring frequently, for 1 hour, or until thickened. Remove spice bag, ladle mixture into hot sterilized jars; seal.
- Yield: about 2-1/2 pints.
Yummy! This is a fun recipe as it's made from something we usually throw away. Sweetie looked at me in horror when I was chopping the rind. As the smell of the spices started filling the house he was much less horrified. lol The consistency is thinner than jam and thicker than syrup. It's so good that I think it can do double duty as either one. So far I've only eaten this on toast. I'm anxious to try it on my homemade pecan pancakes. Oh yes and as for Sweetie... He agrees with me that this is wonderful! Thanks Sharon :-)