Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A simple and warm spiced stew from Nature's Fare monthly email!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (32 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 small onion, Chopped
- 2 carrots, Chopped
- 10 button mushrooms, Sliced
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup pitted black olives, sliced
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once heated, add the chopped onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To the onions, add the cumin, paprika, garlic powder, turmeric, and cinnamon, and stir to combine.
- Add the chopped carrots and mushrooms, and then stir in the lemon juice.
- Next add the vegetable stock and the can of diced tomatoes (including the tomato juice).
- Stir and bring the stew to a boil over high medium-heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pot, and allow to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- After the soup has simmered, stir in the olives and chickpeas. Cover once again and allow the soup to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the chopped almonds on top and enjoy immediately so they don't lose their crunch.