Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A delicious stir fry. The fennel adds a interesting twist, and really works with the ginger and coconut. Serve with rice.
- 1 red chile
- 1 large carrot
- 3 long green beans
- 1⁄2 fennel bulb
- 2 cm piece gingerroot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- Deseed and finely chop the chilli.
- Slice the carrots, green beans and fennel.
- Heat a wok and add all the ingredients apart from the coconut milk and the coriander. Stir fry for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Stir in the coriander and serve.
This was my first time cooking with fennel, and I was afraid the licorice taste would be too strong,but it wasn't at all, it was very mild. The gingery, coconutty aroma alone is worth 5 stars! But it was very tasty. I added a small piece of leftover eggplant and low-fat coconut milk. As I couldn't get a red chili, I subbed crushed dried ones, which would have been fine except 1/3 tsp. was way too much!! HOT on the tongue! Silly me. Served over curried basmati. Good one Kitzy!