Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
This is one of the best soups I have ever made. It has a wonderful and complex flavour. I highly recommend it. From Bon Appetit. I did not use canned pumpkin but made my own puree in the microwave.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
You are right, super complex flavor without much work (it goes fast in spite of the long ingredient list). The banana flavor is very subtle and goes well, like a swirled pumpkin and banana bread! I skipped Step #7 because I had already pureed the soup in the earlier step.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped ripe banana
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add carrot and next 6 ingredients and sauté until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Transfer mixture to processor and blend until smooth.
- Return mixture to pot. Add broth and all remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- Boil soup over medium-high heat 15 minutes to blend flavors. Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then cover and refrigerate.).
- Bring soup to simmer. Divide among 8 bowls. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.