Recipe by grandma2969
this is a good snack mix to keep on hand for open houses..etc..bet you can't eat just one!
Top Review by Doglover61(aka Earnhardt)
These were a HUGE hit at Thanksgiving. They lasted about 15 minutes!! I will be making more for Christmas, I'm sure, as everyone has already requested another batch! Thanks for sharing!
- 1 lb whole pecan halves
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar (not powdered or granulated)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, boil the pecans in water for 1 minute. Drain well.
- While they're still hot, toss them in a large bowl with the sugar, melted butter, corn syrup and vanilla extract.
- Mix well and let the nuts set, covered for at least 12 hours or up to 24.
- Preheat ovento 325*. Put the nuts on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- Bake them for 30 minutes, stirring them every 5 minutes.
- The nuts should be well browned. I realized they start out brown, but what you're looking for is a darker brown.and crisp looking.(although they won't really be crispy till they cool.
- Meanwhile, combine all the spices in a large bowl.
- The instant the nuts are done, add them to the spices and toss until they are well coated.
- Pat the nuts back down on the cookie shet in a single layer, so that they can cool without clumping.
- Cool them thoroughly and store in an airtight container.