Recipe by veraj9170
I love spicey food. For me this adds just the right amount of heat. Nice crusty hot bread and I'm in heaven. You can control the amount of heat by either lessening the amount of peppers or if you're the type that really loves the heat add some more!
- 16 ounces dried split green peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 bone-in ham
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 -5 anaheim chilies
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 medium onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the peas, water, ham bone and bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour longer. Remove ham bone and cut meat from bone. Return to the soup and heat through.
- TO ROAST PEPPER: TO THIS FIRST-- Place whole peppers on a broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from the heat, rotating often, until skins are blistered and blackened. Immediately place in a brown paper bag; close bag and let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin.