Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I have made these many times for parties, they are always huge hit, and even have added these to chicken salads! *Five-spice powder is a mixture of anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and ginger, and can be purchased in the spice section of any major supermarket. I bake these in my air-convection oven on a low heat, they take about 1 hour and 15 minutes, so I cannot really say what the exact cooking time would be in a regular oven, bake until the nuts are toasted and the coating is dry. Place the oven rack on the second-lowest position for a regular bake oven, in a convection oven you can bake two sheets at a time, low oven heat only or they will burn! The complete recipe can be cut in half for 6 cups of nuts. If desired you can use just one kind of nut, or use all of the nuts stated mixed together. Cooking time is only estimated.
Top Review by Kimberly D.
I made this for Christmas gift basket 2 years ago, and am now not allowed to exclude it! Family members look forward to and expect to get their nuts for Christmas! Who am I to refuse, it's easy to do, thank you so much for the recipe, sorry took me so long to rate it, I just looked it up again so I could make it!
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt (can use a bit less)
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder (you can use chili powder in place of chipotle powder)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 egg whites
- 4 cups whole pecans
- 4 cups whole almonds
- 4 cups cashews
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (can use more)
- 1 cup crystallized ginger (matchstick-size)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 225 degrees.
- Prepare two non-stick baking pans, or line with parchment paper if you do not have a non-stick pan.
- In a small bowl whisk together the first 7 ingredients.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg whites until foamy, then add/whisk in the spice mixture.
- Add in all the nuts; toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the sugar over and toss to coat.
- Divide the nuts between two baking sheets in a single layer.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes OR until the nuts are toasted and the coating is dry (stirring about every 15-20 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with more salt if desired.
- Transfer the nuts to a large bowl and mix in the crystallized ginger; cool completely.