Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I have made these many times for parties, they are always huge hit, and even have added these to chicken salads! *Five-spice powder is a mixture of anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and ginger, and can be purchased in the spice section of any major supermarket. I bake these in my air-convection oven on a low heat, they take about 1 hour and 15 minutes, so I cannot really say what the exact cooking time would be in a regular oven, bake until the nuts are toasted and the coating is dry. Place the oven rack on the second-lowest position for a regular bake oven, in a convection oven you can bake two sheets at a time, low oven heat only or they will burn! The complete recipe can be cut in half for 6 cups of nuts. If desired you can use just one kind of nut, or use all of the nuts stated mixed together. Cooking time is only estimated.
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt (can use a bit less)
- 2 teaspoons dried chipotle powder (you can use chili powder in place of chipotle powder)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 egg whites
- 4 cups whole pecans
- 4 cups whole almonds
- 4 cups cashews
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (can use more)
- 1 cup crystallized ginger (matchstick-size)
- Set oven to 225 degrees.
- Prepare two non-stick baking pans, or line with parchment paper if you do not have a non-stick pan.
- In a small bowl whisk together the first 7 ingredients.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg whites until foamy, then add/whisk in the spice mixture.
- Add in all the nuts; toss to coat.
- Sprinkle the sugar over and toss to coat.
- Divide the nuts between two baking sheets in a single layer.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes OR until the nuts are toasted and the coating is dry (stirring about every 15-20 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with more salt if desired.
- Transfer the nuts to a large bowl and mix in the crystallized ginger; cool completely.
I made this for Christmas gift basket 2 years ago, and am now not allowed to exclude it! Family members look forward to and expect to get their nuts for Christmas! Who am I to refuse, it's easy to do, thank you so much for the recipe, sorry took me so long to rate it, I just looked it up again so I could make it!