Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Curry powder and garam masala are both Indian spice blends. These blends vary in flavor. Experiment to see which you prefer. This recipe comes from the January 2009 issue of Fine Cooking.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder or 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 quarts chicken broth or 2 quarts homemade vegetable broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) canspetit-diced tomatoes
- 1 lb dried red lentils, pick over, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium celery ribs, cut into small dice
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into small dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- Heat the oil in a 6 quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened and just starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add the curry powder or garam masala and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes and their juices, lentil, celery, carrot, garlic, cayenne, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently to keep the lentil from sticking; skim any foam as necessary.
- Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the lentils, carrots and celery are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
We really enjoyed this simple-to-make soup. I used just basic curry powder - but next time I want to try making this soup with garam masala and maybe a few more carrots. Yummy! Made for Zaar tag. Thanks for sharing this keeper!
I am writing this review without posting a rating because I've never used curry powder before and don't know if the reason that I disliked this soup so much was the overwhelming flavor of the curry powder. I omitted the carrot, too, which could have changed the flavor. I used fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and followed the rest of the directions exactly. I thought the soup was awful - I threw it away after taking the photo. I don't know if this is a bad recipe of if I don't have a taste for Indian food or curry. I would suggest that a person who likes these flavors to give this soup a shot. Made for Newest 'Zaar Tag Game, 2/14/09 - NELady.