Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Fine Cooking's "Cooking Fresh." This salsa is wonderful and versatile. Even though this recipe is for 2 servings, I suggest you make the whole batch of salsa (Mango Black Bean Salsa) and store it for other dishes. It is obviously easier to make in larger batches. Try this spice rub on chicken or grilled chops as well!
- 283.49 g tilapia fillets (2 fillets @ 5oz each)
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 2.46 ml salt
- 0.75 ml black pepper
- 78.07 ml canned black beans, rinsed and drained (I like Westbrae Organic)
- 0 medium ripe mango, peeled and chopped
- 0 medium tomatillo, paper covering discarded and diced
- 0 medium red onion, chopped
- 28.39 ml lime juice
- 28.39 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- For salsa: Combine all in a bowl and mix. Store in refrigerator, covered, until used.
- For fish: Mix all spices and rub both sides of the fillets equally with the mixture.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with cooking spray, generously. Heat over medium-high heat until hot.
- Cook the tilapia fillets in the skillet until lightly browned and the flesh is opaque and flakes, about 2 minutes per side.
- Serve topped with cold OR warmed salsa!
I made this over a month ago.It was good but i could not find tomatillo so i omitted it. It was good anyway. Thanks for the recipe.
Very, very yum! I'm working my way up to eating more fish, and this made it really good! The spice rub is something we will use on lots of things, and I really liked the salsa even if it wasn't my other half's favorite. I do love the idea, though, so I might just alter the salsa a bit to get something we both love. Thank you for sharing a winner!!