Recipe by lindseylcw
From Tamsin Day Lewis's Good Tempered Food.The 3 sugars add flavour and texture to the top. This is a winter pudding just right for open fires and dark Sunday afternoons.
- 6 cooking apples
- 2 tart green apples
- 1 mace blade
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 orange, zest of
- 6 ounces plain flour
- 2 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 ounces light muscovado sugar
- 2 ounces demerara sugar
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel 1/4 and core the apples.
- Cut them into slices and place in bottom of an earthenware dish.
- Grind the spices together in a mortar.
- Add caster sugar to the spice mix and stir well.
- Add the finely grated zest of the orange and pour mix over apples and turn them well to coat. (If possible do this 1 hour before cooking).
- Rub or process the flour, 3 sugars and butter together until mix is sandy textured.
- Pile over the apples, smooth the surface and cook for 45 minutes until browned.
- Rest for a few minutes before serving and serve with pouring cream.