Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Tempeh is a great cholesterol-free sub for beef. The spicy marinade makes this a delicious sandwich without the need for mayo!
- 1 lb tempeh
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 pinch ground red pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 4 lettuce leaves or 1⁄2 cup radish sprouts
- 2 slices tomatoes or 2 slices avocados
- Cut the tempeh into 4 large pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine the water, soy sauce or tamari, apple juice, honey, garlic, coriander, ginger and pepper In a large no stick frying pan over medium heat, lightly brown the tempeh on both sides.
- Add the marinade mix and cook until the liquid evaporates.
- Remove from the heat.
- Slice each piece of tempeh in half horizontally to make it thinner Place on half of the bread slices.
- Add the lettuce or sprouts and tomatoes or avocados.
- Top with the remaining bread.
These sandwiches were easy to make and quite tasty! The tempeh had a firm texture similar to veggie burgers with a slight nutty taste. The sauce for these gave an Oriental taste that was not very spicy but was definitely flavorful. I used 8 oz. tempeh in this recipe, and it made 4 sandwiches. I can't see one person comfortably eating 8 ounces of tempeh on one sandwich. I might like to try this with some cooked ramen sometime (instead of on a sandwich) for a quick and easy lunch. Thanks for a nice recipe!