Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recently came about this recipe and the combination of spices truly appealed to me. Keeping here for safe keeping until the weather thaws a bit. I will make this with Splenda but you should feel free to use sugar.
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda granular or 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
- 12 allspice berries
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 black tea bags or 4 orange pekoe tea bags
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 unpeeled oranges, sliced thinly
- In a small saucepan, add sugar, ginger, allspice, cloves, and 1 cup of water. Heat over medium heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and add teabags; steep 5 minutes.
- Pour through a strainer into a pitcher. Stir in lemon juice, oranges, and 3 cups of cold water, gently crushing oranges with spoon.
- Serve over ice.
Iced tea is one of my very favorite drinks and I just love this one. It really will hit the spot on a hot day as well. The combination of ingredients is wonderful together. I will make again and again.
Yummy tea!I halved the recipe, and didn't have allspice berries, so put in some ground allspice. Thanks for posting this Toni!
I love ice tea; but this one is extra special and will be very popular around here this summer.I did cheat a bit; could not find allspice berries but i added 1/2 tsp ground allspice to my mixture and I cut down to 1/4 cup of sugar. Thank you for the reicpe Toni.