Prep 11 mins
Cook 11 mins
Australian chef flip shelton suggests spicing up a pot of tea "by adding 1-2 teaspoons of this blend with the tea leaves". The tea can be drunk black or white. From her fabulous book 'green: modern vegetarian recipes'. I have also posted her Spiced Coffee recipe. Both have been posted for the post-ZWT Healthy for the Holidays Challenge. Drunk without milk, this tea is 14 calories and has 0.5g fat. This Spiced Tea and the Spiced Coffee are both great low fat choices!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- Combine all the ingredients.
- For a more intense flavour and aroma, put the spices into small pan, preferably non-stick, over a low heat and dry-fry them very briefly, stirring or lightly tossing frequently so that they don't burn.
- Store in a small airtight container. If you have dry-fried the ingredients, make sure they are at room temperature before transferring them to the storage container.
OH YUM, what a great spice tea mix! I loved the combination of spices in this and found the tea to taste delightful! Thank you so much for sharing, bluemoon! Ill definitely keep this mix at the ready for when I need a hot pick me up.
Made and reviewed for the NA/ME Veggie Forum Sun and Spice Event 2013.
Thanks for a great keeper recipe to have on hand for tea or as Toni, Rita and some of the others have made suggestions for it's use as a chai. It's so yummy and perfect for the fall season. I believe oatmeal topping was listed as well, and I can't wait to try that. What a great combination of spices and so aromatic. Thanks Blue! Made for HolidayTag~!