Recipe by Steve P.
Middle Eastern style spread for Pita bread. This recipe is very tasty and easy to make. This is a very popular dish in this region. The base is usually Chickpeas and Tahini, but the flavor added to the base vary widely from one chef to the next. Tahini is a sesame paste, you can usually find it in the Mediterranean section of your grocery store.
Top Review by Lisa Pizza
Oh man! I will be making this one again and again. What wonderful texture and taste - the cayenne and garlic give it a great bite and the roasted bell pepper contrasts it with just a hint of sweetness. Scooped with some toasted whole wheat pita triangles and you've got a winner. Thanks Steve! :)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In an electric blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, red peppers, Feta, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Process, using long pulses, until the mixture is fairly smooth, and slightly fluffy.
- Make sure to scrape the mixture off the sides of the food processor or blender in between pulses.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- (The hummus can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated. Return to room temperature before serving.) Sprinkle the hummus with the chopped parsley before serving.