Recipe by Bev. E.
This recipe is a spicey combination of veggies cooked with bulgur and sweetened with dark raisins. It is very tasty.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed with garlic press
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup dark seedless raisins
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a nonstick 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion and cook, covered, about 8 minutes or until tender and golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, coriander, cumin, salt, and ground red pepper, and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, bulger, and 2 1/4 cups water; heat to boiling over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer about 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Stir in beans, raisins, and cilantro; heat through.
- Serve with yogurt if you like.