Recipe by Bayhill
Wonderful appetizer or side dish.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
What a delicious way to serve sweet potatoes! I'm a Southern girl so sweet potatoes are a staple at our house. Loved the combination of pecans and the spices; especially, the allspice which I feel is a very under-used spice. If these sweet potato balls weren't already good enough, I lightly dusted some of them with powdered sugar just to see how they would turn out. This dish would make a great holiday dish as well. Made for ZWT-8-Australia/New Zealand.
- 3 sweet potatoes, large (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- all-purpose flour, for rolling balls in
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in boiling water to cover for 30 to 35 minutes or until tender; drain. Let cool slightly.
- Peel sweet potatoes; mash potatoes in a large bowl. Add pecans, butter, salt, 2 Tablespoons flour, brown sugar, and spices. Beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add some all-purpose flour to a pie plate or small bowl. Drop mixture, by rounded tablespoonfuls, into the flour; gently roll into balls.
- In a Dutch oven, pour vegetable oil to a depth of 2 inches; heat to 380F degrees. Fry balls, a few at a time, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.