Prep 12 mins
Cook 42 mins
The sweet potato mash and broccoli can be done ahead allowing for easy assembly at the time of serving on hot toast. This is from the Feb 2014 Bon Appetit.
Sweet Potato Mash
- 1 large sweet potato (12 oz each)
- 1 red Thai chile, halved with some seeds removed (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice, fresh always best
- kosher salt
Broccoli and Assembly
- 1 large head broccoli, stem removed and cut into large florets
- 8 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- kosher salt
- 4 3⁄4 inches slices crusty bread
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, more OK
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped, divided
- flaky sea salt
- For the sweat potato mash, combine sweet potato, chile, OJ and water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sweet potato is very soft and liquid has evaporated - about 20-25 minutes. Remove from heat and mash. Let cool slightly. Can be done up to 3 days in advance.
- Preheat oven to 425°F Toss broccoli and 25% of oil on a rimmed baking sheet. I use silpat. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool. Chop coarsely.
- When serving, brush both sides of the bread with 25% of the oil and toast on a baking sheet until golden brown - about 6-8 minutes.
- Toss broccoli, nuts, lemon juice, 1/2 the basil and mint with the balance of the oil in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread toast with sweet potato. Top with broccoli mixture and remaining basil and mint. Sprinkle with the flaked salt and cut into pieces.