Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Wonderful spice flavor that's always nice in a holiday pie! Even though it is relatively simple to make, the streusel topping can be made a day ahead for even easier preparation. Served with vanilla ice cream, it rounds out the perfect meal and definitely delivers the 'Wow!" factor.
- 158.51 ml walnuts
- 118.29 ml packed light brown sugar
- 59.14 ml yellow cornmeal
- 59.14 ml all-purpose flour
- 3.69 ml cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 73.94 ml unsalted butter, chilled, cut into small pieces
- 1020.58 g granny smith apples, peeled, quartered, cored, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges (about 6 medium)
- 118.29 ml sour cream
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml ground cinnamon
- 3.69 ml ground nutmeg
- 1.23 ml ground cloves
- 1 prepared pie crust
- For streusel topping: Combine nuts, brown sugar, cornmeal, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in food processor and pulse on/off until nuts are finely chopped. Add butter and process until small moist clumps form. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- For filling: Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Toss apples with sour cream in large bowl to coat. Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in a small bowl. Sprinkle mixture over apples and toss to coat.
- Transfer filling to prepared crust. Sprinkle streusel topping over apples, covering completely. Bake pie until apples are tender and streusel is golden, tenting pie if streusel browns too quickly, about 1 hour. Transfer pie to rack and cool slightly.
- Serve pie slightly warm or at room temperature (and definitely with some vanilla ice cream!).
A very good recipe. I have an apple peeler/corer/slicer, so I used that instead of cutting all of the apples. The slices were very thin, so did not need to cook for very long to achieve tenderness. I was not paying attention though and used a cube of butter intead of the 5 TBSP so the topping was like a paste, but it still tasted wonderful! I will be trying it the right way next time! :)
Jackie, OMG. This is wonderful. Apple pie is one of my specialties, but I've never made a sour cream apple pie. I tell you this won't be the last time. Very easy to make and yummy. I used fat-free sour cream and added a tsp of corn starch to the pie mix. Very yummy with vanilla ice cream, but then again apple pie wouldn't be right without it. Oh and I forgot to note, I messed up and bough 1/2 cup of pecans insted of walnuts. So I used 1/3 c of oatmeal to make up the difference in the nuts.