1/4 Photos of Spiced Spanish Almonds
1 hr 20 mins
Salty, sweet and laced with smoke -- the perfect kind of almond for a party. If any remain the next day, savor them over a salad topped with sliced ripe pears and shaved Manchego cheese. From 'EatingWell.com' and posted for ZWT5. NOTE: Cooling time included in PREP time.
My Private Note
1/4 cup ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika or 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 lb marcona almonds (about 3 cups) or 1 lb raw whole almond (about 3 cups)
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 275°F Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 2Whisk brown sugar, cumin, paprika, thyme, salt and cayenne in a large bowl.
- 3Whisk egg white and water in a medium bowl until foamy.
- 4Add almonds to egg mixture and stir to coat; pour through a sieve to drain off excess egg white.
- 5Transfer the almonds to the bowl of spices; stir well to coat.
- 6Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- 7Bake the almonds for 30 minutes.
- 8Stir, reduce the oven temperature to 200F and bake until almonds are dry and golden, about 30 minutes more.
- 9Let cool before serving, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 10Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- 11NOTE: Spanish Marcona almonds have recently become more popular and more available. They're a little flatter than ordinary almonds, with a richer flavor. Always skinned, most Marcona almonds have already been sauteed in oil and lightly salted when you get them. For this recipe, select unsalted and oil-free nuts if you can, though either will work well. You can find them in specialty stores.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Spanish Almonds
Serving Size: 1 (47 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.1
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 329.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 8.4 g