Recipe by FloridaNative
Salty, sweet and laced with smoke -- the perfect kind of almond for a party. If any remain the next day, savor them over a salad topped with sliced ripe pears and shaved Manchego cheese. From 'EatingWell.com' and posted for ZWT5. NOTE: Cooling time included in PREP time.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
Loved these! Liked that they had a little kick, but not too much of one. This was my first time trying Marcona almonds, too -- I like them so much better than the garden-variety almonds! I'm pretty sure DH is going to wipe these out pretty darn quick, good thing I snagged some before I left for work, lol. Thanks for posting! Made by a fellow Honey for ZWT8
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika or 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 lb marcona almonds (about 3 cups) or 1 lb raw whole almond (about 3 cups)
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 275°F Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk brown sugar, cumin, paprika, thyme, salt and cayenne in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg white and water in a medium bowl until foamy.
- Add almonds to egg mixture and stir to coat; pour through a sieve to drain off excess egg white.
- Transfer the almonds to the bowl of spices; stir well to coat.
- Spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the almonds for 30 minutes.
- Stir, reduce the oven temperature to 200F and bake until almonds are dry and golden, about 30 minutes more.
- Let cool before serving, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- NOTE: Spanish Marcona almonds have recently become more popular and more available. They're a little flatter than ordinary almonds, with a richer flavor. Always skinned, most Marcona almonds have already been sauteed in oil and lightly salted when you get them. For this recipe, select unsalted and oil-free nuts if you can, though either will work well. You can find them in specialty stores.