Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Grandma, via my dad. These are a little spicy, as is my dad who likes them with peanut butter of all things. The amount of crushed red pepper flakes were listed on the original recipe as "2-4 tablespoons; 7-8 most popular" so I listed it as 2-8 tablespoons. Pick your own heat level. Neither the husband or I have made them yet but we did have some at the parents'. Number of servings are approximate as according to the serving size listed on the box of saltines.
- 1 (16 ounce) box saltine crackers
- 1 (1/2 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
- 1 2⁄3 cups canola oil
- 2 -8 tablespoons red crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Mix everything but the saltines in a measuring cup or small bowl.
- In a large bowl layer enough crackers to cover the bottom of the bowl.
- Spoon a small amount of dressing mix with crackers. (disposable gloves come in handy here).
- Repeat until all crackers are covered or until out of the dressing mix.
- Toss gently every 30 minutes for 2 hours.
- Store in an airtight container.
I have made this same recipe, only I have used oyster crackers and no red pepper flakes. Very addictive! This is a great alternative to popcorn on family movie night. Would highly recomend this snack.