Recipe by Georgia Girl
EXCELLENT for a buffet dinner party, a shower or wedding reception. We served this at our wedding reception almost 34 years ago. I have served it many times since, and it always gets rave reviews. The recipe came from a Farm Journal cookbook called Cooking for Company.
- 4 cups cooked shelled medium shrimp (1 1/2 lbs. raw shrimp)
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a large bowl with alternating layers of shrimp, onions, bell peppers and lemon slices.
- Combine the vinegar, water, salt, sugar, dry mustard, ginger, peppercorns, bay leaf and Tabasco sauce in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool and strain.
- Add the oil and lemon juice, stirring to mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the shrimp and vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Drain before serving.
- Serve in a bowl that is placed in another bowl filled with ice to keep the shrimp and veggies cold.