Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
If you are looking for a different slow cooker recipe, try this one. From Family Circle. Very different than the usual bbq sauce, etc. Sub soft buns for flour tortillas. This could easily be cut in 1/2.
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (8 -8 1/2 ounce) jar hoisin sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 celery ribs, cut into matchsticks
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 (2 lb) thin-cut beef brisket, well trimmed of excess fat
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 head bok choy, trimmed and shredded
- 8 soft sandwich buns
- Whisk beef broth, hoisin sauce, 1/2 cup water, vinegar, five-spice powder and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Place celery and carrot strips in the bottom of a large slow cooker.
- Add the brisket (slice in half if necessary to fit); season on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Pour in beef broth mixture.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 5 hours or on low for 9 to 10 hours.
- Remove meat from cooking liquid to cutting board.
- Cool slightly (meat should be tender).
- Skim any fat off top of sauce in cooker and discard.
- If necessary, increase heat to high and add bok choy to slow cooker.
- Cook 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile shred beef with two forks.
- Add back to slow cooker.
- Stir to coat with sauce and serve with soft sandwich buns or warmed flour tortillas.
I substituted boneless pork shoulder because my market did not have a small brisket. I also substituted low-sodium chicken broth for the beef broth (because canned beef broth isnâ€™t that tasty). I added onions and crushed garlic instead of the powdered garlic. I served a rice pilaf instead of making into sandwiches. It was good and easy recipe to prepare for a weeknight meal. I will make again, but tweak the flavors a bitâ€¦maybe more garlic or something to brighten it up a bit.