Prep 30 mins
Cook 22 mins
From Cooking Light January 2007
Make and share this Spiced Shortcakes With Sauteed Pears recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup oats
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 5 1⁄2 cups sliced peeled ripe bosc pears (about 6 pears)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen non-fat vanilla yogurt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through ginger) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Cut in 1/4 cup butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until butter pieces are pea-sized.
- Add milk and 1/4 cup water; stir just until moist.
- Drop dough by level 1/4 cup measures 2 inches apart onto a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Flatten dough to 1/2-inch thickness using lightly floured hands. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine 1 tablespoon water and egg white.
- Brush egg white mixture over dough; sprinkle evenly with granulated sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling, combine pears and lemon juice; toss to coat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pear mixture; sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Split each shortcake in half horizontally using a serrated knife. Spoon about 1/3 cup pear mixture over bottom half of each shortcake; top each serving with top of shortcake and 1/4 cup yogurt.