Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
My dad LOVES these! And he LOVES regular, unhealthy potato chips, so I'm MORE than happy to make these for him. We both like things spicy. I suggest serving with Laura Divine's Low Fat Hummus (40517). Adjust spices to your taste - they are just estimates anyway - I do spices by the senses - feel, smell, and look. Can be easily doubled, tripled, etc - just need to do the oven steps a couple more times to account for the extra chips. Optional Equipment: spray bottle filled with water
- 2 large whole wheat pita bread (with pockets)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 -3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Halve the pita breads and cut into shapes of choice and size preference with either cookie cutters or a pizza wheel.
- Place in a bag.
- In a very small bowl, mix together spices.
- Spritz water in bag and shake contents.
- Repeat until bread is moist.
- Add spices and shake until evenly coated.
- Place pita pieces evenly on a prepped cookie sheet.
- Place in oven for an estimated 10 minutes or until to desired crispness or color (it can range from a light toasty brown to a near black).
Wow! Wow! WOW!!! I'd give this 10 stars if I could. Snack foods that are healthy and cheap are hard to come by and this one is AMAZING! You really can customize the seasonings to your taste. I just shook some garlic powder, basil, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper into the bag and added some water, then shook the pitas in it. They turned out great, and the ladies at work all agreed. Some of the reviews mention using oil, but unless you need the calories or like the taste, I wouldn't bother. Every bit of my spices stuck to the pitas both through the shaking and the baking. Thanks for a great recipe.
Very flavourful. I omitted the cayenne and cumin, and dipped them in tzatziki. I also moistened with olive oil instead of water, as another reviewer suggested. I think I'll enjoy these in various incarnations from now on!
I had some leftover lavash bread so made this with it, it was nice but I would have liked some tang in this too but a great alternative to chips.