Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love scotch eggs and this one from Recipe+ looks good. One of the things I like about this is that it is done in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 220C (200C fan forced).
- Place 8 of the eggs in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, stirring (this helps centre the yolks) and gently boil for 8 minutes and then remove from heat, drain and cool slightly and peel.
- Soak bread in milk for 2 minutes and add mince, curry paste, remaining egg and parsley, mix until well combined.
- Grease 8 holes of a 12 hole (1/3 cu) muffin tray and line each hole with a slice of bacon, extending over sides and then cover bases with a layer of the mince mixture and then add a boiled egg pointy end up and then press remaining mince mixture around and over the eggs until completely covered and then fold bacon over mince, securing with a toothpick at join and place muffin tray on a rimmed baking tray.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until mince is browned and cooked and then remove toothpicks and stand for 5 minutes =.
- Serve spiced scotch eggs with salad.
Wow, these "poor man's crab cakes" are packed with curry flavor! The salad provides necessary respite from the intense flavor, although baked potato wedges are an option. Two of these might be 1 serving for a lumberjack, but one would be enough for most people. I had never boiled eggs this way before. One egg peeled itself during the last 2 minutes of boiling, and the shells practically fell off the rest during the draining and cooling. However, the yolks did appear to be centered once we cut into the final product. The bacon made it easier to remove the eggs from the muffin tin. Next time, I would put some raw diced potato at the bottom of each tin to raise the Scotch egg from the tin bottom and soak up the grease, so the bottom could brown as well. (Scrape off the potato before serving.) (Note: 220 C is 425 F.) I would serve these for lunch or supper, or take on a picnic. All in all, this recipe reminds me that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, and these Scotch eggs could lead to a proposal. Made for Photo tag game.