Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Glögg is the term for mulled wine in the Nordic countries. Non-alcoholic glögg can be bought ready-made or prepared with fruit juices instead of wine. The main classic ingredients are (usually) red wine, sugar or syrup, spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves and bitter orange, and optionally also stronger spirits such as vodka, akvavit or brandy. Posted for ZWT 6.
- 3 1⁄2 ounces whole blanched almonds
- 3 cups red wine
- 3 cups ruby port
- 2 1⁄2 cups vodka
- 10 green cardamom pods
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- 2 large oranges, strips of zest
- 3 1⁄2 ounces golden superfine sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Cover the whole blanched almonds with boiling water and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and slice lengthways into thin shards, then spread out on a baking tray and roast for 6-7 minutes, until golden. Cool.
- Meanwhile, put the red wine, port, vodka, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves, the pared zest of the oranges and the sugar into a large pan and leave over a low heat for 20 minutes – do not let it boil.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Put a metal teaspoon into each glass – this will absorb the heat so that the glass doesn’t crack.
- To serve, pour the mulled wine between glasses and sprinkle with the toasted almonds and 2 tablespoons raisins.