Top Review by karen bender
We love salmon and like different variations...this one was especially good and unique. The spices did not overpower the fish, although I cut the quantities WAY back (1/4 of the recipe) and used lightly on the fish (steelhead salmon). I, too, was very skeptical of the spice combination, but it works wonderfully. Complex enough to crave more and more and more bites! I might also try on chicken. My whole family voted a repeat on this recipe! Super easy...give it a try. Next time, I'll cut back or omit the olive oil...we don't like any kind of oily fish. The fresher, the better!
- 1 lb fresh salmon fillet
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 dash cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sea salt or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub the salmon fillet all over with olive oil and press the flesh side firmly into the spice mix.
- Place skin side down on a broiling pan and broil for 10 minutes.
- Move the broiling pan into a 425 degree oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the center of the filet is opaque.
- The finished fillet should slide right off the skin.