Recipe by SugaredAlmond
Sweet, spicy chicken with a cooling salsa It might seem like there are a lot of ingredients here, but it really is very simple - plus a lot of it can be prepared ahead. I would suggest another Mojito on the side, but it seems I might have got carried away with the Rum already - Hehehe! Cooking time includes marinading
Top Review by Susie D
I spotted this recipe during RSC and have been wanting to try it. I finally found the demerara sugar. It was worth the wait! The chicken is wonderful, sweet and mildly spicy. The salsa is a wonderful accompaniment. I reserved a third of the marinade to avoid cross contamination and used it for serving. Great job Sugared Almond!
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts, skin on
For the Marinade
- 1⁄2 cup brown demerara sugar
- 100 ml water
- 50 ml dark rum
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon allspice (Pimento)
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 pinch salt
For the Salsa
- 1 large ripe mango
- 2 scallions or 2 spring onions, chopped finely
- 1 mild green chili pepper, seeds removed and sliced very finely
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon white rum
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped finely
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all Marinade ingredients in a pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the sugar from catching then leave to cool completely.
- Cut three or four deep slashes through the skin side of each chicken breast. Pour over marinade, making sure that all the chicken is well coated and that the marinade has penetrated the slashes. Leave for at least 3 hours, or ideally overnight for the flavours to develop.
- When nearly read to cook the chicken, peel the Mango and cut the flesh into ½ inch dice. Add the scallions / spring onion.
- Grate the lime zest and add to the Mango, along with the chili pepper.
- Squeeze lime juice and stir into the salsa with the white rum and mint. Refrigerate for one to two hours for the flavours to develop.
- Preheat grill.
- Remove chicken from the marinade, scraping any extra marinade off.
- Place remaining marinade in a pan and heat gently.
- Grill chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes each side, until cooked through.
- Serve chicken with reserved spiced rum sauce and the Mango Mojito Salsa.