1/2 Photos of Spiced Rum-Sugar Chicken With Mango Mojito Salsa
6 hrs 45 mins
Sweet, spicy chicken with a cooling salsa It might seem like there are a lot of ingredients here, but it really is very simple - plus a lot of it can be prepared ahead. I would suggest another Mojito on the side, but it seems I might have got carried away with the Rum already - Hehehe! Cooking time includes marinading
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large boneless chicken breasts, skin on
For the Marinade
- 1/2 cup brown demerara sugar
- 100 ml water
- 50 ml dark rum
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, chopped finely
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon allspice (Pimento)
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 pinch salt
For the Salsa
- 1Place all Marinade ingredients in a pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- 2Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the sugar from catching then leave to cool completely.
- 3Cut three or four deep slashes through the skin side of each chicken breast. Pour over marinade, making sure that all the chicken is well coated and that the marinade has penetrated the slashes. Leave for at least 3 hours, or ideally overnight for the flavours to develop.
- 4When nearly read to cook the chicken, peel the Mango and cut the flesh into ½ inch dice. Add the scallions / spring onion.
- 5Grate the lime zest and add to the Mango, along with the chili pepper.
- 6Squeeze lime juice and stir into the salsa with the white rum and mint. Refrigerate for one to two hours for the flavours to develop.
- 7Preheat grill.
- 8Remove chicken from the marinade, scraping any extra marinade off.
- 9Place remaining marinade in a pan and heat gently.
- 10Grill chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes each side, until cooked through.
- 11Serve chicken with reserved spiced rum sauce and the Mango Mojito Salsa.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Rum-Sugar Chicken With Mango Mojito Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.0
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 115.7 mg
- Sodium 139.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 37.1 g
- Protein 31.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: