Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A super easy recipe for the fluffy, decadent pineapple upside down cake with the rich flavor of spiced rum. No one will ever know you use a cake mix unless you tell them! I like the texture of the crushed pineapple so much better than the whole rings that usually make the cake around them gummy and wet, with crushed pineapple every bite is filled with the sweet, subtle flavor of the pineapple.
- 517.37 g boxbetty crocker supermoist French vanilla cake mix
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 118.29 ml Meyer's dark rum
- 566.99 g can crushed pineapple in juice, juices reserved
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. You can use either a 13X9 pan or two 9" cake pans for this, spray sides of baking dish(es) with cooking spray.
- Drain pineapple, reserving all juice. Press it down into the strainer to remove excess juice in the pineapple. Measure out 3/4 cup of juice and discard the remaining juice or save for other purpose.
- Cut butter into pieces and place into baking dish(es), sprinkle brown sugar on top of butter - divide both butter & brown sugar into halves if you are making it in two pans rather than one.
- Place in oven while preheating until butter melts completely, then remove from oven, stir in the drained crushed pineapple. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together eggs, oil, rum and the 3/4 of pineapple juice saved from the can until well blended.
- Add in the box of dry cake mix to this liquid mixture and mix on low for 30 seconds to combine, then on medium for two minutes.
- Pour evenly over the pineapple, butter, sugar mix in baking dish.
- Bake for 30-36 minutes, test for doneness with toothpick.