Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
from intermezzo magazine, i haven't made this yet but it looks too good to pass by
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 1⁄4 cup strong coffee
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon water
- preheat oven to 325.
- grease and flour a bundt pan.
- in a medium bowl mix oil, honey, molasses, rum and coffee.
- in a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt mix in raisins.
- in a large bowl beat eggs and sugar, add in liquid ingredients, beat on high with electric mixer slowly add dry ingredients, mixing well.
- pour into bundt pan,bake for 1 hour.
- remove and let cool in pan for 30 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on wire rack for 30 mins meanwhile to make glaze mix sugar, rum and water together.
- when cake is cool pour over top you can just dust with confectioners sugar instead of glaze if desired.
I found this to be very dense cake!I did bake it for 70 mins. I probably should have kept it in longer. It` reminds me more of a gingerbread cake! I did use only 1/2 cup of molasses because thats what I had. This cake is very very sweet so you didn`t miss the other half cup! I just expected more of a spice cake! And it really doesn`t need the glaze sweet enough. I think if you take tablespoonfuls and drop on a cookie sheet and bake they may make a nice chewy cookie.
I absolutely loved this cake. It is the best recipe I've found for rum cake. It is very rich, but moist and delicious. I do leave out the raisins, personal preference there, but everything else is great.