Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This makes a great Chrismas gift, or birthday gift. It is easy, and the taste is out of this world! I will never buy Cap'n Morgans again. This is definitely spicy, you can alter the amount of serranos to taste. The recipe is attributed to Robert Parzick.
- 750 ml good dark rum
- 1⁄4 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
- 9 whole cloves
- 5 allspice berries
- 4 serrano peppers (for aesthetic purposes, if you want it spicier, add 8 serranos) or 4 jalapeno peppers, split in half, seeds removed (for aesthetic purposes, if you want it spicier, add 8 serranos)
- Put all the ingredients in the bottle of rum, you may have to remove some to make room for the solids.
- Let steep a minimum of one month.
- The flavor improves with age, and it keeps for years.
I made this last year but just realized I never reviewed it. Shame on me! We love this. I used jalapenos because they're easier to find around here. I wasn't quite sure about putting the peppers in, but they really add a nice heat to it. We're making more this year to give as gifts--we drank the other bottle ourselves! :-)