3 hrs 15 mins
The spicy marinade gives the beef a wonderful flavour, while slow cooking keeps the meat very moist. Spoon the veggies and any sauce over the baked potatoes or serve separately. From Cooking for Diabetics.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 1/4-2 1/2 lbs round beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 4 green beans, chopped
- 8 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth or 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 7 tablespoons dry red wine
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1Serve with oven baked potatoes.
- 2Put the coriander seeds in a mortar and pound them with a pestle.
- 3Stir in the rest of the spices and seasonings, then pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the white wine.
- 4Put the beef in large zip lock bag, pour the marinade over the beef, push the air out of the bag and seal it.
- 5Massage the marinade around the beef and refrigerate for about 24 hours, turning and massaging occasionally.
- 6Preheat the oven to 300f degrees.
- 7Heat the oil in a deep casserole just large enough to hold the beef snugly.
- 8I use my cast iron dutch oven.
- 9Add all the vegetables and cook over gentle heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or untl they start to soften.
- 10Lift the beef out of the marinade and place on top of the veggies.
- 11Strain 1 1/4 cups of the marinade into a measuring cup and add the broth and the red wine.
- 12Pour the liquid over the beef.
- 13Add the parsley, cover and place in the oven.
- 14Bake for 2 to 3 hours, or until the beef is tender.
- 15For the last hour, wash and score the potatoes.
- 16Place potatoes on oven grate around the outside of the casserole.
- 17Bake 1 hour, or until fork tender.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Round of Beef
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 993.6
- Calories from Fat 849
- Total Fat 94.3 g
- Saturated Fat 38.1 g
- Cholesterol 126.4 mg
- Sodium 489.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 12.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: